MPC International Summer Internship Program
This internship program sponsored and managed entirely by the MPC gives the opportunity to outstanding bachelor and masters students to work in a photonics laboratory in a world-class research institution. This experience will expose you to a highly productive research environment, it will give you the opportunity to create a network of like-minded researchers, all while gaining real-world experience with cutting-edge research methods and infrastructure. Some of the details of the internships are different depending on where you will be embedded. Below, we proved more details on the application process and the internships. Please note that these internships are offered only to students from MPC affiliated academic institutions, namely Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München, Technische Universität München, or the University of Ottawa.
Your application package must include, in PDF format:
- An up-to date CV highlighting your research interests and experience
- A motivation letter clearly outlining the kind of research that interests you, which MPC group(s) you think would be the best match for your interests, and why. You may list as many or as few groups as you want. You can find a list of all MPC groups on our members page. You should also include your preferred start and end dates.
- A reference letter from an academic supervisor at the faculty level. This letter should highlight your excellence as a student and/or researcher, and confirm that you are a good candidate for a research-intensive internship.
- A copy of your latest academic transcripts. This does not have to be an official transcript.
- A separate document where you rank-order the groups you would like to join. This document will only be used to ensure the best match and will not be shared.
We will first send your application package to your preferred groups. If you are selected by one or more of your preferred groups, we will transmit these offers to you and give you 48 hours to respond. If you are not selected your preferred groups, we may have a second round of matching. In this case, you will be given a list of groups that are still accepting applicants and will be given an opportunity to revise your motivation letter.
- Due to COVID-19 and the continuing uncertainty, we will have to postpone the regular program for another year to 2022.
Internship dates and duration
You should indicate in your motivation letter your preferred start and end dates.
- Internships to Canada: 8 weeks, start and end dates are flexible
- Internships to Germany: Up to 16 weeks, start and end dates are flexible
- Internship to Canada: $6,000 CAD for an 8-week internship – this amount can only be deposited in a Canadian bank account a few weeks after you arrive in Canada. You will need a Canadian phone number to open this account.
- Internship to Germany: reimbursement of your travel costs and support for living expenses.